WINTER ISLAND ARTIST RESIDENCY 2019
CALL FOR PROPOSALS
DEADLINE: OCTOBER 8, 2018
Artscape Gibraltar Point is proud to announce the official Call for Proposals for the 2019 Winter Island Artist Residency. See the details below to find out how to apply for this unique, juried, and project-based residency award aimed at artists working in community-engaged and/or community-collaborative practice.
Last year’s Winter Island Residency brought together members of our residency and island community as well as participants from mainland Toronto and beyond , to collaborate with artists working in painting, sound, textiles, performance and intervention, and video/choreography to create a truly memorable experience through the long winter months.
From Left to Right: Jeff Nachtigall, Bike Island, Stacey Ho, Sound Walk, Sarah Miller as Part of Simon Pope’s Discussion Island event series, Shannon Gerard, Crochet Workshop, Sammy Rawal, Artist Talk, Winter Island Exhibition – All photos courtesy of Andrew Lochhead
The aim of the Winter Islands program is to recognize three – five artists annually who have demonstrated a strong and unique artistic voice while working in Canada’s visual arts community and provide them with a month of distraction-free studio time to create and/or develop a new and exciting community-engaged work, or body of work, that seeks to collaborate with and/or activate the artist community at Artscape Gibraltar Point and the Toronto Islands.
Should you require assistance with the application process, do not hesitate to contact Artscape Gibraltar Point
Artist Eligibility Criteria
To be considered for the Winter Island Art-In-Residence program, artists should meet in full or in large part, the following criteria:
– a demonstrable professional artistic practice
– a proposal which emphasizes community engagement and/or collaboration with an identified community either on or off island
– adhere to best practices with respect to community engagement
– an demonstrable exhibition record including at least one solo exhibition and/or significant exhibition record at a combination of the local, regional and/or national level
– be able to provide a one paragraph artist biography and description of their proposed project
– be able to provide, on acceptance, two high quality images of their work and a headshot for promotional purposes
– have had their work as a subject of at least one professional, critical review in a recognized journal or publication
– the feasibility and artistic merit of their proposal
– be a Canadian artist or artist working in Canada
– be able to participate fully in all aspects of the Winter Island Artist-In-Residence Program
Selected Artists Receive
– a complimentary month long stay at Artscape Gibraltar Point including a private studio and bedroom
– ferry tickets (to a maximum of 8 round trips)
– a $100/wk food or materials stipend
– promotion of their residency and project via press release, Artscape promotional networks and social media channels and relevant advertising in select publications.
– Opportunity to participate in the communal life of Artscape Gibraltar Point and engage with participants in our self-directed residency and long-term studio rental programs