CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
Artscape Gibraltar Point presents: Winter Island Artist-In-Residence Program 2022
Submission Deadline: January 3, 2022 at 11:59 PM
Program Dates: January 31 – April 4, 2022
Exhibition: April 30 – May 28, 2022 – Artscape Gibraltar Point
Funding: Complimentary stay and $125/week artist fee
Artscape Gibraltar Point is seeking project proposals from artists working in all media for the Winter Island Artist-In-Residence program for 2022.
Now in its sixth year, Winter Island is a unique, juried artist-in-residence program aimed at emerging, mid-career and established artists hosted at Artscape Gibraltar Point, an artist residency located on the picturesque Toronto Islands. For the 2022 Winter Island Program we are pleased to offer options for two weeks or a month-long residency.
Winter Island recognizes seven artists annually who have demonstrated a strong and unique artistic voice and provides them with one month of distraction-free studio time and accommodation to create and/or develop a new and exciting work, or body of work that engages and activates the artist community at Artscape Gibraltar Point and the Toronto Islands.
Selected artists will have the opportunity to present these works/projects to the public as a part of a Winter Island Group Exhibition to take place at the conclusion of the residency series at Artscape Gibraltar Point.
SELECTED ARTISTS WILL RECEIVE
- A complimentary stay at Artscape Gibraltar Point including a private studio and bedroom
- $125/wk artist fee
- Promotion of their residency and project via Artscape’s social media channels
- Opportunity to participate in the communal life of Artscape Gibraltar Point and engage with participants in our self-directed residency and long-term studio rental programs
- One month free-trial at Artscape Daniels Launchpad. Artists are able to utilize the 5 Creative Studios, Digital Media Lab, coworking space, and events/workshops
*Please note this award does not cover travel costs to and/or from Toronto Island*
Artists will be expected to produce the following:
- A community engagement piece that engages the wider public. This can include the island community and the wider city as well. This can be in-person, online, or in print. The artist is expected to support promoting their work.
- A visual piece or representation of the artists’ work to include in the Winter Island Residency Exhibition for one month. This is a group show that goes up in the hallway of Artscape Gibraltar Point and begins with an opening reception.
*Artists who choose a two-week residency will only have to do one of the above. However, they are welcome to do both*
January 3, 2022 – Submission Deadline
January 7, 2022 – Winter Island Artists-In-Residence Announced. All applicants notified
January 31, 2022 – First Winter Island Artist Residency begins for one month**
January 31, 2022 – Second Winter Island Artist Residency begins for two weeks
February 21, 2022 – Third Winter Island Artist Residency begins for two weeks
February 28, 2022 – Fourth Winter Island Artist Residency begins for one month**
February 28, 2022 – Fifth Winter Island Artist Residency begins for two weeks
March 7, 2022 – Sixth Winter Island Artist Residency begins for one month
March 21, 2022– Final Winter Island Artist Residency begins for two weeks
April 30 – May 28 2022– Winter Island Artist Residency Exhibition
**This year we are excited to announce a partnership with MOTHRA artist-parents. This unique collective and residency was started in 2018 and seeks to break down barriers that exist for artists who have children. Artist-parents selected for this time will get the additional benefit of spending time with other artist-parents as well as being part of a second group show in June if they so choose. We encourage artist-parents and caregivers to apply for these dates however all artists who select these dates will also be considered.
- Artists must include a CV and description of their work
- Artists must demonstrate how they will meet the Artist Expectations as outlined above
- Artists must demonstrate a plan to work in a semi-isolated residency environment
- Artists must be double vaccinated and be prepared to live in a communal environment. All artists that stay at Artscape Gibraltar are expected to do light cleaning and look after the space
- Artists who face barriers to participating in residencies will be prioritized. This may include but is not limited to: Indigenous, Black, Racialized, Disabled, Poor, Newcomer, Parent, Trans, and Queer artists.
- ·Artists must be living in Canada. Artists from the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA) prioritized
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply using our form on Submittable. This will include a 300-word statement, a 200-word work plan, a CV, and examples of past work.
Should you require assistance with the application process, do not hesitate to contact Niklas Agarwal, Hub Manager, Artscape Gibraltar Point at email@example.com.
All submissions are considered confidential.
Deadline for Submissions: January 3, 2022 at 11:59 PM. Applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis.
ABOUT ARTSCAPE GIBRALTAR POINT
Located in the former Toronto Island Public and Natural Science School, Artscape Gibraltar Point offers 35,000 square feet of affordable retreat space, artist studios and accommodations for artists and creative thinkers. The tranquil, idyllic setting is world-renowned as a centre for members of the artistic and non-profit communities to think, experiment, collaborate and share ideas.
More than 700 artists a year from across the globe experiment and create art through self-directed artist retreats and thematic residencies hosted in our overnight accommodations. In addition to hosting a maximum of 20 visiting artists at any given time, fifteen long-term artist work studios provide space for a range of painters, sculptors, musicians, filmmakers and a recording studio – all of whom contribute to the unique and collaborative atmosphere at Artscape Gibraltar Point.
Artscape is a not-for-profit urban development organization that makes space for creativity and transforms communities. Artscape is the operator of Artscape Gibraltar Point. Our work involves clustering creative people together in real estate projects that serve the needs of the arts and cultural community and advance multiple public policy objectives, private development interests, community and neighbourhood aspirations and philanthropic missions.